Sunday, August 14, 2011

Interview Questions

So whenever I have been in an interview I have always mentally prepared myself for the difficult questions - whatever they might be. An interview is a time to sell yourself, speak honestly and humbly of your strengths and highlight your weaknesses with a positive spin. That's why when myself and my counterparts interviewed 22 new youth for the position of Youth Center Volunteers I decided to give them the hard questions. Through the somehow language barrier I was able to ask questions like, "if you could be any type of food what would you be and why?" and "if you were abandoned on a desert island for the rest of your life and all your basic needs where met what three items would you want with you?". Now, during this day I asked a question and I believe I got the best response I will ever receive. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: If you could have witnessed any period in history what would it have been and why?

Interviewee: It would have been the year 1723. (Long pause) No, I mean the year 1836 in Uganda.

Me: Okay...(confused face)...why?

Interviewee: Well in that year a man from America - no wait from Britain came to Uganda. He traveled all around Uganda and brought with him something special. He brought people with him that I would say were small - very small. They were so small that in Britain they were in something called a circus.

Me: That is very interesting. Have you ever seen these 'small people' before?

Interviewee: They are extinct. So no I haven't, but would have loved to.

So not only did this interviewee say that the time in history he would have liked to live in was when midgets were brought to Uganda from England, but also that midgets are extinct. Priceless.

1 comment:

  1. BAHAHAHAHA... oh man, leave it to a Ugandan to say something like this in an interview. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete