Monday, March 28, 2011

So Much Rain...

So the rainy season has started here in Uganda and though not all of the country has seen the uplifting effects of the thunderous rainstorms, Kayunga Town has. Last night it rained for only about 30 minutes, but the impression that the rain left on the community will last for weeks. The wind was blowing so hard that the massive trees were bending over sideways. Rain was pounding against the windows and at some points it was blowing in through the creases of the windows and my front door. Then it started hailing golf ball size ice stones - needless to say between the wind, rain, hail, thunder and lightening I felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane. Once the rain stopped the jubilation of the community arose because the fields and crops needed the rain badly. To some farmers dismay their crops had been ruined by the storm, but all in all I could see the joy on everyone's face.

This morning I woke up dreading my walk to work because for some reason after every rain storm the mud becomes my mortal enemy and it somehow finds a way to trick me to fall to the ground. Today I did not fall on the way to work, but many other things did. When I got to the Youth Center I talked with people at work and they informed me that some people lost their houses last night due to the storm. After going around to check on the staff at the Youth Center to make sure they got through the night okay I started to look around the Youth Center. I found many trees that had fallen down and power lines that were down and broken. The pathway from the Youth Center to the Hospital was blocked with debris as well as the main road going into the Hospital. On the main street in town one of the restaurants and restaurant owner's home had been demolished by the wind. The roof had collapsed in on itself and sadly the whole family was inside when this happened. The family is currently at the hospital receiving treatment. The whole picture of the house reminded me of the homes I saw after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Needless to say I am glad that all of my Ugandan family were safe last night, but the Town will take the rest of the week to clean up the aftermath of the rain storm.



The trees by the Youth Center fell on the main power lines to the Hospital and the villages beyond the Youth Center. We'll be without power most likely for the rest of the week.



The bigger picture



The path from the Youth Center to the Hospital was blocked by fallen debris



No comments:

Post a Comment